The United States Fire Administration (USFA) is conducting a national-level special study on agency responses to the coronavirus pandemic. ER is supporting this endeavor to ensure our customers can easily capture and report this critical data to the USFA National Fire Data Center (NFDC).
First, a couple of key points about the study:
- It is retroactive to January 1, 2020, so a local ER administrator (or those with sufficient privileges) can unlock previously reviewed and submitted incidents. Here’s a knowledge base article (KBA) to help. This study goes through December 31, 2022.
- Please be sure to take advantage of other NFIRS modules (like Fire Service Casualty) to fully and accurately document your agency’s response during this crisis. This blog article provides helpful details…check it out.
ER has deployed two key components to support the USFA/NFDC study:
1. We’ve added the special study question and all valid answers (codes) to Basic 2 of an incident report.
2. We’ve also updated the NFIRS export to include the special study data in the export. No additional action is needed by local ER administrators since this data point will now be automatically included in your NFIRS exports. Please review this KBA for a refresher on NFIRS exports.
Be on the lookout for additional enhancements to the system in the weeks ahead:
- Updating the incident print pageto include the special study data
- Adding controls in the Administration module to make the special study field(s) required
- Advanced Search parameter(s) within the Incident Module to quickly find COVID-19 incidents
- Reports and API endpoint(s)to make data available for analysis and third-party connections
We’ll continue to keep you posted on these important enhancements to the system. ER is here to support our customers during this difficult time. Keep an eye here on our blog, our knowledge base and at the top of the in-system Welcome Page for forthcoming announcements.